Monday 28 October 2013

Name Options

From looking at other apps I have realised that 'The Year I Was Born' is too long to use as a name for my app. Apps generally have shortened, more 'punchy' names - I think this is to make them more memorable, also integrable into modern vocabulary (Whatsapp is a good example of this - my friends often use it as a verb: "I'll Whatsapp you") and to bypass the display name space restriction on the device's home screen (http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphone-sdk-development/6389-maximum-length-application-name.html). I like the idea of combining two relevant words that can be put together to create one word that gives a flavour of the app's function and nature. MySpace, Facebook, NetFlix, LinkedIn, YouTube and SnapChat are good examples of websites and apps that have adopted this principle.

Key words:

Birth
Born
Year
Beginning
You
Me
I
We
My
Chronicle
Story
Timeline


Key phrases:

The year I was born
My birth year
The start of my story
My first year
The chronicle of your birth year


Possible alternative names:

BirthYear
YourStory MyYear - Could abbreviate to 'Myr'

Myr is an existing word meaning 'millions of years'
From Wikipedia:
Myr is in common use where the term is often written, such as in the Earth sciences and cosmology. Myr is seen with mya, "million years ago". Together they make a reference system, one to a quantity, the other to a particular place in a year numbering system that is time before the present.


Panabee Name Generator (Birth Year)


I used the above name generator to try to find something unique, but the options that were generated from typing 'birth year' weren't all that inspiring. Out of the options I currently have I am going to go with 'BirthYear' - it fits with the two word amalgamation common with lots of apps and social networking services and it gives the correct connotations about the main function of the app.



No comments:

Post a Comment